Monday, June 16, 2008

The world is wide open!

Last night I was sitting up watching my celtics lose...which i was torn because I want them to win to put away the lakers asap but I would like them to win in Boston so we will wait for Tuesday night to capture #17 anyways....So I had the tv on mute and just started thinking about conversations I have had recently or topics that have been on my mind. I love discussing church, life, sports, politics and whatever else someone wants to debate. Lately it has been a lot of politics. Usually its subjects like obama vs mccain?, obama the hope or obama the anti christ?, conservative vs bipartisan?, how involved should the church be in politics? etc etc etc...Im cool with discussing all these things as you can tell I blog about all of them. I think its good to connect with people and discuss topics of the time... I hope that no matter what my opinion is that I never become so close minded I stop talking about certain things. So in all of these questions we have in front of us today there is only one answer. We need more Jesus. Simple to say yet so difficult to actually follow. I don't really know who the president should be nor do I really care because I dont believe one man is going to change a nation either for better or worse. P Bush is Christian and nothing has improved. Not because he has failed like the media wants you to believe but because America continually turns from God. You can put Billy Graham (the poster child for Christianity) in the seat and nothing will change. I may be wrong but it is what I firmly believe. So as Christians do we not vote? No not saying that. God has ordained government. We are to support them in prayer and in vote. All I am saying is we need to be careful that we don’t put our trust in our candidate or political systems and put it in God. We as the church need to focus on the real issue. The real issue is us returning to the heart of our Father. If we would focus on becoming more like Jesus in the way we live our surroundings would change automatically. Getting laws passed will not keep people from breaking them. Lower or raise the drinking age to whatever you want and middle school age will still find ways to get to it. Create gun laws and people will still find a way to shoot people. Create the best border control you can think of and they will find a way in. Do away with Rowe vs Wade and people will still find a way to kill innocent babies. The problem is not that we don’t have enough laws or the right laws. The problem is the church. We have just become a model of the world…We divorce at the same rate as the world. Although we wear pro-life shirts and picket clinics we still have as many abortions as the rest of the US(according to us studies in 2006). Now I believe this to be because 76% of US claims to be Christian which is a joke. Barna research says in their recent research that 48% of people claim to go to church weekly. We all know this is ridiculous. 48% of our actual members don’t show up each Sunday. Probably not twice a month. So the data is a bit skewed because of who claims to be Christian but if 1% of Christianity thinks its alright to have an abortion then we have a major issue. We have made it so easy to call yourself a Christian. Not that we are supposed to judge who is and who isn’t but that we need live such a life of example that people know who is Christian and wouldn’t be confused with those claiming to be but not walking with Jesus. When we start living like Jesus who only did what he saw his Father doing we will change the church and united we can change the world. No doubt about it. If want to see morality come back to America we have to bring it back and its not trying to force our control in the Whitehouse and force people into thinking like us. It comes through following Jesus and loving like he loved. If we become the visible representation, the exact likeness of Christ (Genesis 1:27) we will change the world. Until then we are misleading people when we say we are Christian and yet don’t appear anything like Jesus. I am just starting to get this. I am so far from it but I am now seeing where I fall short. After 19 years of being “saved” I am now starting to see where I thought I was living for God I was completely missing it . Jesus is the answer to everything. We can act like the systems of the world will save us and we can continue the trend of Christianity dying at alarming percentages with every year that goes by. We can keep thinking our own brand of Christianity will save us and hope Jesus knows our name when its all said and done or we can start truly following him and see our entire world changed. The world is wide open! Waiting for the Children of God to start living for him! Lord forgive us for every once of us that isn’t what you created. Forgive us for misleading your people. Forgive us for ever doubting you are the most real thing in our life and the only thing that will never fail us. You are the only way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John,
that is some good stuff, I wish more people saw it the way you do, and were so concerned about walking out what they claim to be. Keep the amazing heart for God that you have open to Him.
-Zach