Tuesday, June 24, 2008

3,000 miles wide and 3 inches deep

Foxnews reported on a poll recently taken from Pew Forum and I thought it was pretty interesting. They did a poll on various religions and if they believe that their religion is the only way to eternal life. They polled 35,000 people and their findings are pretty disturbing. I am only going to discuss their findings from those that claim to be evangelicals. 57% of the evangelicals polled said they believe there are many religions that can lead to eternal life! Is this the state of the church that we have become so relevant that we now believe there are many ways? Or do we simply desire to be relevant to the culture and seeker friendly that we do not want to say that Christianity is the only way? Either way we are real lost. To say this means you are denying the word of God John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me. How do we expect to reach the world with the gospel when dont even accept the heart of the Gospel. There are some things in the Bible that are difficult to understand and grasp a hold of but that scripture is about as clear as it gets. We as the church need to reclaim our identity as the body of Christ with one objective, one mind, one heart. Not a mixture of different theology, different doctrine. There is no wonder why we have so many denominations. Its been estimated by some that they are over 6000 protestant denominations in the US alone. I dont doubt it....Anyone who has a different opinion leaves there church/denomination and starts their own. I personally think denominations are not needed and that we should just be one unified Church but at the same time I dont think one denomination is going to heaven and the other isnt. I just dont see where God ever called for various doctrines and theology. The Church is losing its power more and more each day because we are not unified. No wonder the world is so confused on where to turn. 57% of us Christians cant tell you which path will lead you to life. Michael Lindsay, a Rice University sociologist of religion says it best "The survey shows religion in America is, indeed, 3,000 miles wide and only three inches deep," so true...


No comments: